Tips for Fighting Autumn Back-to-School Bugs
Did you know your home’s air may be dirtier than the air outside? According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, some indoor pollutant levels are two to five times (and up to 100 times!) worse than outdoors. It’s no wonder many residents with allergies and asthma choose indoor air quality systems to keep respiratory symptoms under control.
But what about viruses and bacteria? With back-to-school season around the corner, many parents are dreading the entourage of germs that arrive on kids’ hands, shoes and backpacks. Fortunately, there are a few, simple precautions you can take to ditch freeloading germs—before they make themselves at home. And, hiring indoor air quality professionals and keeping up with AC repair services in Round Rock, TX help prevent the spread of illness, too.
Home Hygiene Reduces Fall Sickness
- Encourage handwashing. Eighty percent of infectious diseases make the rounds through touch. Before your children head to the kitchen for after-school snacks, send them straight to the sink. Washing hands properly, with soap, drastically reduces exposure to pink eye, diarrhea-related infections, e. Coli, flu and respiratory diseases.
- Take care with purses & backpacks. According to the Good Housekeeping Institute, a 2016 study showed the average purse or handbag is three times dirtier than an office toilet seat. To minimize the yuck, don’t set purses, diaper bags and backpacks on public bathroom floors. Hang hooks to store these items at home, and always avoid placing them on kitchen counters.
- Clear the clutter. Cluttered rooms add surfaces for pollen, pollutants and germs, so cut household clutter to enhance air quality. A side benefit: Simplifying your space brings peace of mind. Studies show that too much stuff raises stress and leads to unnecessary anxiety. Embrace your zen by organizing, donating and tossing.
- Keep bedding & soft surfaces clean. Soft furniture, bedding, throw pillows and stuffed toys are prime offenders when it comes to harboring dander, dust mites and bacteria. Frequently launder washable items, put dust covers on mattresses, and hire an eco-friendly cleaning company to sanitize upholstery, carpets and window coverings.
- Schedule regular HVAC checkups. Home comfort techs improve air quality and decrease germs by replacing filters and cleaning equipment parts. HVAC maintenance also limits the need for emergency AC repair services in Round Rock, TX.
- Request an indoor air quality consultation. Cool Experts’ team of air quality specialists help families stay healthier. Ultraviolet purification, dehumidifiers, electrostatic air purifiers and HEPA filtration systems can be used to balance humidity and remove pathogens and pollutants from vents and surfaces. IAQ equipment is also a good way to safeguard immune-compromised family members.
Cool Experts Keeps the Air Clean
Cool Experts’ comfort specialists are trained and certified to address your indoor air quality needs. There are many DIY steps you can take to improve indoor air quality, like minimizing chemical use, replacing HVAC filters and cleaning regularly. If someone in your home is frequently ill or suffers from allergies and asthma, you may need professional IAQ help. Call 512.790.5715 to request an air quality audit or to schedule AC repair services in Round Rock, TX.
Cool Experts also is proud to provide air quality and air conditioner repair services in Cedar Park, TX. Our team of pros is here to help you fight back-to-school bugs so you can enjoy an activity-filled autumn!