What To Do When Allergens Fill the Air
If you live in or around Austin, you know the holiday season is filled with more than football, family gatherings and gift-giving. In Central Texas, the end of November signals the start of cedar fever season—the time of year when Austin’s abundant mountain cedar brush sends pollen wafting into the air. Airborne cedar pollen triggers widespread allergic reactions that mimic cold and flu symptoms. From December through February, this allergy response plagues one in five Austin-area residents with discomfort that includes:
- Runny nose
- Blocked sinuses & facial pressure
- Red, itchy eyes
- Sore throat
- Impaired hearing & smell
- Fatigue & general malaise
Released in cold weather and spread by wind, cedar pollen is hard to avoid in the Hill Country. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to minimize exposure if you and your family are among the 20 percent of Texans susceptible to this allergen. Cool Experts, Austin’s heating repair and HVAC pros, offer these suggestions for pollen-proofing your home and surviving cedar season.
Tips to Battle Cedar Pollen
With cedar brush covering the hills around Austin and winter cold fronts dispersing pollen on the wind, the irritating effects of cedar fever are nearly impossible to avoid. Try minimizing exposure with these common-sense precautions:
- Wear a face mask while outdoors.
- Remove cedar trees and bushes from your yard.
- Weatherproof window and door seals.
- Use your AC or heater and avoid open windows.
- Schedule professional air duct cleaning.
- Clean or change HVAC filters every month.
- Change bed linens frequently.
- Wash hair and clothing when you come inside.
- Regularly wipe indoor surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Sweep rugs with a HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaner.
- Create a separate mud-room area for changing shoes, brushing pets & storing outerwear.
Cool Experts also recommends adding an air purification system the next time you schedule HVAC replacement or heating repair in Round Rock, TX.
Clear the Air With Cool Experts’ Indoor Air Quality Equipment
Highly efficient IAQ technology helps rid your home of pollutants and allergens, including the irritating pollens responsible for cedar fever. Your family will find welcome allergy relief in a home equipped with these advanced features:
- Ultraviolet germicidal light disinfection
- Electronic air filters
- Electrostatic air purification
- Ultraviolet filters
- HEPA & advanced-level filtration
We are giving away a free UV light air purification system! Click here to learn how to enter for a chance to win.
Air cleaning systems can be retrofitted to your existing HVAC unit to improve indoor air quality and relieve your family’s cedar allergies. Contact Cool Experts for a free estimate on IAQ equipment, or request a consultation when you schedule heating repair in Round Rock.
Prepare for Allergy Season With Cool Experts
Cold weather and cedar fever go hand-in-hand in the Texas Hill Country, but you can prep your home for both with seasonal maintenance and heating repair in Austin, TX. Get a head start on combatting winter allergy season by calling 512-790-5715, or connect using our convenient online form. Ask about our $59 heating checkup special, which includes carbon monoxide testing!